Wednesday 9 May 2007

AAArrrgggHHH & OOOOOOhh

AAArrrgggHHH (for caving) & OOOOOOhh (for thermal stuff)


Mud Pool, Rotorua, New Zealand.

Ok, so a couple of days ago I overcame one of the fears I have had since I was very young and that was caving. When I first heared of the concept as a child it both scared and excited me, so I had to try and overcome the fear in Waitomo. I was probably more nervous about doing this than even skydiving or bungy, I even thought about backing down when I saw the first tiny little crack in the ground we had to go in, plus me and this other dude went down the wrong tunnel and got lost right at the begining, however after my first absail down a waterfall I quickly overcame my fear and was crawling through holes and tunnels less than 2 foot in width, sliding down watery drops, climbing slippery walls and crawling through underground streams on my hands and knees. It was brilliant! I am now in the very smelly town of Rotorua, tis smelly cos of all the thermal things in the area, the earths crust here is only about 6km thick as apposed to the usual 60-70km. There are lots of thermal pools, geysers, steamy vents and bubbling mud pools, which today gave me the oportunity to take one of those obligatory photos I have always wanted to take....a mud bubble poping (see above). I spent ages trying to get the perfect pop! I am very pleased with the photograph but man did it stink!!! Does anyone remember the bog of eternal stench in the Labrinth??? Well I got some on me and I may stink for eternity now :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man you're braver than me, pot holing sounds like my idea of hell! Glad you enjoyed it though, I have to say New Zealand looks great from your blog.

Joseph Bolt said...

It looks great from up close too man! You should try it. I am considering coming back in December and working here through the winter, you guys up for it? We could get a house together and any old job and just enjoy the NZ summer with its amazing blue sky, and at weekends we can use the money we earn to visit all the beautiful places around the country, before heading back to UK in time for our summer and moving the Brighton. What do you think???

Anonymous said...

That sounds great, how much do you think I'd have to save beforehand to do it? Feel free to Myspace me if you don't want to clutter up your blog!