Tuesday 1 May 2007

Failed to Mention Nelson...

Protected, unprotected tree, Motueka, New Zealand (see how all the bark has fallen off)


Boat on beach, Motueka, New Zealand.


Perfect Shells, Motueka, New Zealand


Closeup of boat, Motueka, New Zealand.


Shipwreck, Motueka, New Zealand.


Ok so in the rush of trying to fit evrything into my last entry I practically missed out Nelson. I stopped there (over easter weekend) between the Glaciers and the Able Tasman treck. It is my favoutite city in NZ so far, really chilled, beautiful, arty and just generally really nice feeling, I stayed in this really small hostel that semed more like staying at your grandparents house than a hostel, it was really nice, the owner even took me to a local town fair (just the sort of outing you would go on with your grand parents), it was a bit like the balloon festival without the balloons!!! Nelson is also the geographical centre of New Zealand and there is a nice walk up a hill which is the exact centre and you wouldn't believe how much of new Zealand you can see from that single point. From Nelson I went to Motueka (of which there are some photos above) and spent Easter Sunday and Monday relaxing by the beach there and taking lots of photos as it being Easter everything was shut, of course with it being out of the hottest weekends of my trip so far I wasn't going to complain about being forced onto the beach, especially not a quiet in tourist filled one. From there I went on to do the Able Tasman treck as mentioned before, a cool treck with several crossing that are tide dependant, if you don't reach certain beach crossing at the right time you have to swim (quite a challenge when your on a 3 day tramp with a backpack full of a tent, food and hopfull dry clothing etc.). Anyways that fills that gap in.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Joe,

Which hostel did you stay in?

Joseph Bolt said...

Trampers Rest, did you stay there?????

Unknown said...

No, sadly I did not. Although I'm glad you loved Nelson, 'twas my favourite place too!